BY DOUGLAS NORDOFF
WITH NORTHERN CLOUD PROVIDERS, CORPORATION, CHICAGO, IL.
Client-Server and Cloud Computing - the "battle"
there's just two ways - standalone application, and client-server application
Standalone just means the user-interface and the business logic and the datastore and any
and all resources are completely self contained within a single execution environment - the end-user's machine.
Client-server means there
is some logical division of these components, services, and resources.
Usually we see user-interfaces in a local execution [aka "client"]
and business and data store and other resources in a remote execution [aka "server"].
MSN Messenger [contains an application
we run on our local machine, while a back-end service facilitates communication at a remote location]
Facebook [contains a thin application
- our web browser - and a remote service - their servers]
With this in hand, let's check
out cloud computing.
computing is an abstraction of traditional server hosting solutions.
Instead of buying 10 servers myself to run
and manage in my own operations datacentre, I now lease X servers from a vendor where X is a variable number decided by me
whenever I want.
is a distinct advantage to leveraging a cloud. If I bought 10 servers, I must manage and maintain these 10 servers even if
they are underutilized [say only 1 server is used 90% of the time, while all 10 are pinned 10% of the time at peak hours].
That means I am paying way too
much in maintenance for 90% of the time, while being inflexible when I need to grow the remaining 10%.
The advantage of cloud computing
is that "someone else" is managing the server farm for us, and is willing to lease out a variable number of machines
to us on demand. So in our scenario above, I could lease 1 machine for 90% of the time in off-hours, and scale up to 10 or
more machines the remaining 10% of the time.
Microsoft takes this abstraction one step further with Windows Azure.
They do not lease generalized servers, but application
This is the one example [to mind] where a cloud implementation has actual design implications - but it
is predicated on the same premise of elastic hosting.
For the most part, because client-server is a software paradigm and cloud computing is a hosting abstraction, they
are independent concepts.
people, however, will realize that cloud computing implies business, data stores, and other resources are remotely hosted,
which necessitates that any application running within a "cloud" is part of a client-server application.
Want more Training
and Videos on this subject? We have a current database of over 127,470 Mobile Cloud Training Modules....all related to Mobile
Cloud Computing Concepts....with FREE Videos...and growing daily....come back to us, daily......
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ What is a Thin Client? +++++++++++++++++
A thin client is a stateless, fanless desktop appliance that has no hard drive. All features
typically found on the desktop PC, including applications, sensitive data, memory, etc., are stored back in the data center
when using a thin client.
thin client running Remote Desktop Protocols (RDP), like Citrix ICA and Windows Terminal Services, and/or virtualization software,
accesses hard drives in the data center stored on servers, blades, etc. Thin clients, software services, and backend hardware
make up thin client computing, an alternative desktop computing model.
Many users ask: What is thin client
computing? Thin client computing is a concept that has been around for decades. During the late 70s, a “dumb terminal,”
or a computer without a hard drive, were being used. They were similar to a thin client in that all processing was done from
the CPU or computer they were connected to.
A dumb terminal was simply an output device or display monitor that
had no computational power to do anything besides display, send and receive text.
Thin client computing has advanced drastically in the last decade and can today
rival traditional PCs in performance. Thin client computing has advanced to the point where users can’t tell the difference
between a thin device and a “fat” PC. This user experience, coupled with the extensive cost, security, manageability,
and scalability benefits of thin clients, is the reason IT personnel in various industries are exploring – and switching
– to alternative desktop computing.